- Today is Friday, July 31st, 2015 at 6:20 a.m Yesterday was although muggy, never got hot. There were a few light scattered showers but they had little impact if any on the streams. Today will be far less humid with comfortable air temps. The tailwaters are holding up well and insect emergence can be mid afternoon, The freestone streams remain low and getting warm by early afternoon. Sulphurs have been on the water daily as well as some Isonychias and Olives, Hatches on the tailwaters are fairly dependable however trout can be very selective and a long leader is a plus. Patterns such as small pheasant tails and caddis are good choices. The hatches are usually better on cloudy days.
- This is Summerfest weekend at the CFFC & Museum with special events like a casting competition. On Sunday at 1:00 there will be a celebration of Agnes Van Putts 99th Birthday. A very happy birthday to her. We should all be so lucky! For more info go to their website or call at 845-439-4810.
- There was a public meeting re: West Branch (Cannonsville) repairs on Thursday, 7/23/15 at 8 p.m. at the State Theater in Deposit. It seems that this meeting allowed for an exchange of information re: the West Branch. There is apparently a major leak in the Cannonsville Reservoir and to repair it, they will continue the release of 1500 cfs daily until the repairs are complete. Most of the water is going for drinking water. If this release continues until August 30th, there could be a dry Cannonsville. As we get more information that can be verified we will pass it on.
- Whoever sent us the ribs from Corky's please let us know. There was no info in the package.
FLIES-Again this year we will have some new patterns that will cause both you and the fish to take notice. Everyone at Catskill Flies are fly tyers so we are in a good position to help you select materials for your personal flies. We also offer a custom fly tying service.
RODS-We are proud to have Scott Rods on board. These premium rods are made in the USA and are a joy to both cast and fish.
SIMMS-Simms now has a zipper front wader in the freestone model that doesn't require a second mortgage to own and yet have the famous Simms quality.
A New Year has come and as we get into 2015, it is hard to believe that we've been around for almost 20 years-trying to serve our customers to the best of our ability. We wish you a wonderful 2015 with the best fishing one can imagine. We are now open daily for the rest of the season.
Should you want the e-mail blasts, you must send us your e-mail address. The one on wet fly fishing was re-sent to those who requested it. If you want it but didn't sign up, just e-mail us a fax number to get a copy. We will be doing one shortly, now that the busy season has calmed down.
Remember you can find us on Instagram, get updates via Twitter, or simply go to catskillflies.com for all the latest and accurate fishing info. By the way, we now have wi-fi available in the shop.
From now on our special events, sale merchandise & coupons as well as tips on how to catch more fish will all be encompassed in our new e-mail alerts. Just sign up in the shop or e-mail us your interest and you will be included. One should be coming out shortly,
For those who want a Simms product we don't have in stock, we will have it drop shipped to you at NO additional cost.
We will continue using TWITTER in 2015 for those of you who utilize this source of information. The coming year will be our 17th year of giving ACCURATE daily stream information on-line.Stream Conditions-Friday-July 31st, 2015 6:20 a.m.
|Beaverkill||Sulphurs, small Olives, Isonychias, Caddis,spinners||178||63 yest, a.m.||aft. temps need to be watched|
||same as above||2250||
|very limited wading,floatable|
|East Branch||same as above||179||55.0||wadeable|
|Esopus||same as above||313||61.2||wadeable|
|Neversink||same as above||182||60.8||unwadeable|
|West Branch||same as above||1610||45.0||very limited wading/floatable|
|Willowemoc||same as above||106||62.5 yest. a.m.||wadeable-watch afternoon water temps|
The gorge is now too warm to fish. This river does not get the big sulphur hatches the other tailwaters have. Be ready to fish nymphs. Hatches tend to be more spotty than other rivers, Hatches are small Olives and midges with a few summer Caddis. The size and tree growth along the banks make this a good terrestrial rivers. The Main Stem- remains in good shape although water temps have come up in the lower trout zone, As on other rivers, hatches are mostly sulphurs, Isos and some small Olives.. Nymph fishing the riffles has been effective. The additional water has helped water temps and hatches have been in decent numbers.
BK on 6/6/15 -this took place at Cairns pool.
Tom took this beauty on the Beaverkill with a #22 Pheasant Tail om 5/25/15.
Frankie took this nice fish on 4/25/15. He also took a bunch of others. Good work.
Pepper took this nice fish on the MainStem on Sunday.
Geoff took this nice fish on 5/4/15 on the main stem using a Hendrickson CD.
Sean had a great day 5/4/15 on the Neversink using small streamers.
Jim took this beauty on the
Beaverkill on 4/30. Nice fish!
A proud moment between buddies-Jim and Robbie! Again on the Beaverkill.
Measured 18" brown taken by this young man Taylor yesterday, Saturday 5/9, on the Beaverkill.
Thanks for all the pics you are e-mailing us. Every year we are surprised by the size of some of the fish caught. We post them as quickly as we can. Please send it in a format we can use=Paintshop Pro. We will acknowledge the fisherman. if you give us your name, the river you were fishing, the date and the fly you were using. Just e-mail them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description. Help make this the best year ever.
You all know how much we appreciate our customers many of whom have been with us for 10 years or more. If there are any suggestions on how to make any improvements, please convey them to us either in person or via the computer. This is our 20th year in Roscoe. Stop in to say hi..We love seeing each one of you and making new friends.You can get your license by calling 866-933-2257 Monday through Friday. That call will give you a transaction number which is good for two weeks, until your actual license arrives by mail. It is so easy. Just have your old license available, if you have one, and your credit card to cover the cost. If possible, secure your license either where you live or on-line.
STORE HOURS-DailyNow- mostly clear and a delightful 59 degrees. Today less humid with sunshine and 79. Tonight partly cloudy with a low of 58. Tomorrow, Saturday, nice but a t-storm in the area and 77.
.Looking ahead- Sunday partly sunny and nice and 79. Monday a t-storm possible in the afternoon and 82. Tuesday a t-storm in the area and 74.
**** During Season-if on any given day there is no report published, it means that our server was down early in the morning when we do our report. We attempt to publish every morning between 5 and 6 a.m. and continue to do so daily through October. It could also mean our computer is giving us problems. Our e-mail address is email@example.com.
FLY OF THE WEEK
This is the nineteenth fly of the 2015 fishing season. This is our BWO CDC Sparkle Dun.
Small Olives in sizes 22 & smaller are on the water until late November and fish can get highly selective. This little sparkle dun is often a good choice under those conditions.
- Hook- Wapsi DF3, TMC101-#22-24
- body-olive superfine
- Wing-dun CDC
All species specific flies are tied in the shop. This assures accurate color and silhouette. Let us assure you that we actually tie our own flies and are busy doing it 12 months a year, 7 days a week. We are an anomoly-we still do it the old fashioned way to make sure you get the best possible fly for your money and one that actually works. We are fly tyers!